Skip to main content

My 2019 in films

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I'm not dead! Surprise! Midterms are a punch in the gut. Anyway, I don't want to talk about my life I want to talk about MOVIES. Since it is now the hard-to-believe year of 2020 I've been thinking, as most people do, about my 2019. Specifically, the movies I saw in 2019. I've compiled a list! I love lists!
So, first of all, because I was raised right by my momma, I'm going to cite the list I gathered my list from. I went on IMDB and read through the first list of movies released in 2019 I could find. (Feature Film, Released between 2019-01-01 and 2019-12-31.” here's the link) I sorted the list by popularity and I stopped reading around movie 2,000 (?) or so partly because I was bored and partly because I reached foreign films I'd never heard of. This may not actually be every movie I saw, but we're going to trust that it is.
Okay folks, let's get this show on the road! First I'm going to talk about movies I did see, give a short rating, and then I'm going to talk about movies I still want to see.
I'm adding Pros, Cons and also sometimes a new category I call "The First Time." I strongly believe movies can be better or worse, depending on how you felt or where you were the first time you watched the movie. To show why some films are more/less important to me, I'm including this category.

(Warning: I have a lot of trouble assigning movies ultimate number ratings, but in this post, I'm going to do it. Please don't hate me!!)

The part of the blog where I rank the movies I saw in 2019!
1. Knives Out 9/10. This movie is so good. So good. I loved it so much. Not only was this the best film I saw in 2019, but it is also in my personal top ten of all time. More on that list in blog posts to follow but for now, we'll just suffice it to say I love this movie. I'm a sucker for mystery films and this movie delivered on every plot point. I found myself genuinely laughing in the theater and felt for each character's plight. No spoilers here, but the ending was very satisfying.
Pros- Chris Evans' entire character and the overall plot
Cons- Jacob Thrombey's entire character and far too many many swear words
The First Time- I saw this film in the theater with my older sister at midnight. It felt very reckless and fun!

2. Spiderman: Far From Home 8/10. This movie was so fun! I remember thoroughly enjoying it, but I will say I haven't seen it since it came out, my memory is foggy. The biggest reason I ranked it an eight is the plot didn't stick, which shows to me it didn't matter as much.
Pros- Tom Holland's Spiderman and the illusion scene.
Cons- The cliffhanger? I guess? I don't really remember any big cons
The First Time- A theater with my younger sister? I don't remember

3. Avengers Endgame 8/10. As a resident major Marvel nerd, I obviously loved this movie for many reasons. It's so important to the story I've grown into over the past 10ish years. Although I stay true to my love of Marvel, I am not unwilling to admit its faults. This film, in particular, was ripped apart by critics. I liked it! I didn't love it, but I liked it.
Pros- The scene where the Avengers gang is talking about the stones and they are laying on the table and -spoilers you probably already know- when Cap catches Mjolnir.
Cons- light spoilers- The deaths and the slightly convoluted plot.
The First Time- Back to back showings at two different theaters with my younger sister, crying through the second time.

4. Frozen II 8/10. I liked this film a lot! Also, I've written an entire post about it, and I am a big fan. Read that other post for more information!
Pros- The songs and the character development!
Cons- The lost opportunity for better characters.
The First Time- In an almost empty theater, with room to put my feet up, and my sister.

5. Five Feet Apart 8/10. This film was fun to watch! I like rom-coms, even though they are often cringe-y and this was the best one that came out in 2019! I think, maybe, lol. It's better than the others I have on this list.
Pros- The plot is sort of new, medical issues is not, but CF was something I don't know much about. Also, I like the starring couple! They make a really cute match.
Cons- Definitely skirts on cringe-y.
The First Time- Chilling in my house with my sisters (If you couldn't tell my family bonds over films)

6. Toy Story 4 8/10. I love Disney films if that wasn't obvious, and this one was very cute ^-^
Pros- Character development and the plot
Cons- I found the villainess genuinely creepy? Like I didn't want tiny kiddos to see her?
The First Time- In a comfy theater with my best friend from back home, and she loved it :)

7.  The Lego Movie: 2 7/10. The biggest reason I put this movie lower on the list was it just doesn't hold a ton of importance to me.
Pros- The plot and it was genuinely funny!
Cons- I didn't really feel the Lego Movie needed a sequel?

8. Rise of Skywalker 7/10. Every major film critic I watch was not into this film, and hey, I get it, but I liked it. I didn't love it, because the plot seemed very easy to guess, but I liked it.
Pros- I like Ben Solo, esp. the lightsaber part. (Said every teenage girl ever)
Cons- Spoilers- Palpatine? Uh? Nope, don't like that!
The First Time- With my whole family in a packed theater. Like I said, we bond over films.

9.  Isn't It Romantic 7/10. I liked this film a lot more than I planned on liking it! I enjoyed watching it, truly, which kinda surprised me.
Pros- Cute plot, and Liam Hemsworth.
Cons- Unnecessary and distracting language.

10. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu 6/10
Pros- Cute! Very cute! and funny!
Cons- I have no real connection to Pokemon. Sorry, y'all! I just don't!
The First Time- In the theater with my little sister.

11.Captain Marvel 6/10
Pros- Girl power! Yeah! Also, I liked the Skrull creatures
Cons- The plot? Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Brie Larson. I think people went a bit crazy around Brie though, I don't dislike her that much. (Here is a great video by Seamus Gorman about this concept)

12. The Lion King 5/10
Pros- Cool animation and additions to the original!
Cons- I don't like remakes. Enough said I think.
The First Time- A very sleepy day around Thanksgiving with my family.

13. Men in Black: International 5/10
Pros- This movie was funny!
Cons- I don't really know why it exists? Also, I forgot a lot of the plot, which shows it wasn't very important.

14. Murder Mystery 4/10
Pros- Well produced and thought out for a Netflix film. Good actors! I like Jen Aniston and Adam Sandler together.
Cons- Unnecessary. Like, it just didn't have to exist? I don't know how to explain it but when my ratings go under 5 I feel like the movie just doesn't need to be made.

15. Shazam 4/10
Pros- Zachary Levi and the family-team dynamic is cute!
Cons- I genuinely don't remember almost anything about this film, it was so forgettable.

17. The Perfect Date 2/10 I hate this movie and wish I never saw it. Enough said.
Pros- I don't really know... representation maybe? One or two funny jokes?
Cons- Just bad, boring, annoying and I don't like the plot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The part of the blog where I talk about movies that came out in 2019 that I still want to see, but I haven't gotten to yet. They are numbered in no particular order.
1. Jojo Rabbit- Looks like an interesting plotline! I don't really know a lot about it but I'm intrigued!

2. Little Women- When Greta Gerwig cast Saorise Ronan and Timothee Chalamet as Jo and Laurie it became a must-see! Also, I 've loved the story since I was small. Although, I will say, the reason I haven't seen it yet is I'm afraid I'm going to cry the whole way through because I'm just not sure I'll be able to bear Ronan and Chalamet (Spoilers) not ending up together.

3. Cats- yeah, yeah, I know it's terrible but I find some amount of pleasure in watching terrible things. We'll see.

4. Jumanji: The Next Level- I liked the first revival alright, so I'm interested in the sequel!

5. Aladdin- I may not actually end up seeing this one, because, in case it wasn't shown through my review of The Lion King, I don't much like these remakes of Disney movies. (Maybe I should do a ranking of Disney movies...?) But, I have heard "Speechless" from the movie and I liked it!

6. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil- It's been a long time since I saw the first Maleficent, but I liked it so I'm curious how the sequel compares. I honestly haven't heard anything about this film? Did anyone even see it? How much did they spend advertising it? I don't think I saw any commercials.

7. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood- although Mr. Rogers doesn't hold a lot of personal meaning to me (I don't really remember watching him as a kid) I have heard lots of good things about this movie!

8. Last Christmas- I saw so many ads for this film, but the second it came out it completely disappeared! I never heard anyone talking about it, but the trailers seemed like a good movie!

 9. The Addams Family- I may never get around to seeing this one, but it does have a few good actors in it, notably Finn Wolfhard, who I don't think I've ever heard do just a voice character? I could be wrong on that, but it seems like a nice little movie!

10. Spies in Disguise- Tom Holland. That's all I've gotta say about this one. Also, it seemed like a new concept from the ads? I could be wrong but we'll see!

11. Yesterday- Not as into the Beatles as some others (*ahem* my lovely roommate) but the concept for the film seems interesting and the ads pulled me in. I've also heard some good reviews.

12.  X-Men: Dark Phoenix- The X-Men series turned major confusing to me somewhere between the days of the future and past, but I still want to see this film. I just feel like I have to sort out the lore of it all first. I saw a lot of commercials for this one, but no real people talking about it.

13. Glass- I saw "Unbreakable" and "Split", both of which I considered to be pretty good movies, and I guess this film is a sequel to both of them? I haven't heard much about it but I'm intrigued. Not usually into this genre of films, but I like to branch out sometimes.

14. The Hustle- I love Anne Hathaway, but from what I've heard about this movie it flopped in theaters? I might still see it anyway.

15. Tolkien- I think this movie came out for a limited run in theaters for some weird reason and hence seeing it was difficult, but I plan on seeing this when I can access it!

The part of the blog where I run out of things to say
So I saw a lot of movies! I also rewatched a lot of movies that came out in previous years, some of which I will probably include in future posts. If you have strong feelings about any of these films please comment here! If you have seen any of the movies I haven't tell me how you feel about them! and last but not least, if you want a move in-depth review on anything let me know. (I will probably have a long Knives Out review up by the end of March)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songbirds and Snakes

When I was a kid, there was a giant boom of interest in a series of books by Suzanne Collins, called The Hunger Games. I remember the interest reaching me when the first movie was set to release, only two years after the final book had been published. I knew about the books from those around me, but the movies seemed to spark even more excitement from friends and relatives, so I was told to see it in theaters, and encouraged to read the book. I had (and let's be honest, have) a terrible habit of deciding that I dislike things before I even give them a chance, if they are largely popular and the general public approves of them. It's a complex that I've been battling against more recently, trying to remember that popular things are popular for a reason, and perhaps they actually are pretty good. In 2012, when the first Hunger Games movie was released in theaters, however, I was not fighting against this inclination. I was in the throes of "I'm not like other girls...

Frozen Two

"You don't want me following you into the fire? Then don't run into the fire." One of my favorite people to watch on Youtube is Jenny Nicholson. Jenny makes hilarious content, but it's also well-thought-out and educated. Although I will never directly copy from her content, she is a big reason why I started this blog, and therefore she is definitely an inspiration. I'm going to talk about Frozen Two today. Since Jenny tends to write her pieces in a relatively negative light, I didn't even watch her latest video about Frozen 2 yet. First I get my thoughts out, then I'll watch the video.    I don't know about all of you but Frozen was one of my favorite Disney movies for the longest time. The plot was entrancing, the animation was amazing, the songs made me happy (aside from the overplaying of " Let It Go " across the nation), and overall the movie just left me with warm fuzzy feelings. My roommate is a psych major and we had a very...